Monday 4 November 2019

Great Idioms for PT3 & SPM essays- with meaning and examples

HELLO! I'm back!

Due to multiple requests, Yes, I hear ya'll! Here are more lists of idioms you can use in you essays. I can definitely see myself using the in my narrative or informal letters!

Here is the first lists: Useful Idioms for PT3 and SPM


1.      An arm and a leg – Very Expensive. Cost a large amount of money
That camera cost me an arm and a leg! I hope this will benefit me in the future as a photographer or YouTuber because I really love taking pictures and videos.

2.      Chew someone out – Verbally scold someone
Seems like our boss is looking to chew someone out with that straight face and vibe. We must hurry our works and behave!

3.      Crack someone up – To make someone laugh
I love cracking someone up with my videos.

4.      Cross your fingers – To hope something happens the way you want it to
If you have done your best in something, just cross you fingers, hope for the best, and pray that you will get what you deserved!

5.      Get up on the wrong side of the bed – Someone who is having a horrible day
So many terrible things happened to me today. First, I forgot my wallet, then while walking to the bus stop someone carelessly drove over the puddle and got my shoes wet, now I am scolded at the office. I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

6.      Pig out – To eat a lot and quickly
Ali just came back from a 3 days 2 nights camp in the jungle. The moment he reached home, he pigged out and the slept the whole day.

7.      To Steal someone’s thunder – Taking the credit from someone else
Nobody wants to work with Michael now because he tends to steal someone’s thunder on his previous group projects.

8.      Tie the knot – To get married
My aunt is finally tying the knot this Monday and my family cannot wait to attend it in London!

9.      Head over heels – Very excited/joyful, especially when in love
I am head over heels when I realised there are lots of people reading and commenting my blog!

10.   Hit the sack - Go to bed or go to sleep
I just had a long day at the training center today. I think I will hit the sack early today. Good night.

11.   Hold you horses – be patient
I know that this situation is not very convenient for you, but hold your horses and don’t do something you will regret. Patience is virtue.

12.   A leopard cannot change his spots – You cannot change who you are
No matter how hard I try, I cannot please everyone I meet. A leopard cannot change his spots. If you are not happy with who I am, then grab your bags and leave. I tried.

13.   A drop in the bucket – A very small part of something big/whole
Try not to overwork and spend more time with your family. You are just a drop in the bucket in this company. The moment you are sick or die, they will just replace you with someone else. However, your family will always be there for you.

14.   Bite your tongue – To avoid talking
When your parents are giving you a lecture, just bite your tongue.

15.   Cut to the chase – Leave out all the unnecessary details and get straight to the point
 I told Sami to just cut to the chase and tell me the whole story. So know I know everything about your problem. Stay calm because I will always be here for you.

16.   Don’t count your chickens before they hatch – Don’t rely on something until you are sure of it
Before taking a risky action, don’t count you chickens before they hatch. We must wait to have the final results and discuss with everyone about this situation.

17.   Get over it – To move beyond something that is bothering you

Even though we did not get the award for the best video, we must learn to get over it because there will be more works and awards to look forward to.

18.   Go out on a limb – Put yourself in a tough position in order to support someone/something
I went out on a limb to talk you out of that situation. Now you must straighten up and find yourself a job and house.

19.   Go to the extra mile – Going above and beyond whatever is required for the task at hand
If you want to achieve more things than others, you must go to the extra mile and do things that other people do not do.

20.   Graveyard shift – Working hours from about 12:00 am to 8:00 am. The time of the day when most other people are sleeping
My father works at graveyard shift as a security guard. We rarely see him and if we do, he is always sleeping.

21.   He lost his head – Angry and overcome by emotions
After the accident and the death of his wife, Sam just lost his head and he is no longer the same person we used to know.

22.   Keep your chin up – To remain joyful in a tough situation
No matter how frustrating and depressing it is to lose a competition, we must keep our chin up because next year we will be tougher and stronger.

23.   Know the ropes – To understand the details
Don’t worry, Joe. We will show you the ropes in this line of work and you will be an expert in no time.

24.   Face the music – To accept punishment for something you have done
After all the years of robberies, rapes, and murder, a gangster leader, Thomas Shelby is finally caught and now facing the music of his crimes.

25.   Gut feeling – Personal intuition you get, especially when something may not be right
I told you not to befriend him. I always had this gut feeling about him ever since I met him.


You can easily download this link by clicking here.
-MR

2 comments: